You must install TWRP recovery on the Motorola Moto X Style if you are to get root access on it using the SuperSU. using the SuperSU is the first and only method that’s out today. Once you have the custom recovery installed, you can boot the Moto X Style in that recovery mode. From there, you can install the SuperSU zip file and you’re away. Others who don’t want root access might still want to install a custom ROM. It’s the same deal with the custom ROMs as it is for the root access, whereby you must boot in the recovery and upload the ROM zip file. As most of you will know, you cannot flash zip files from a stock recovery using this smartphone.
The Files You Need
- Download the TWRP Recovery (twrp-220.127.116.11-clark.img) from this link.
- Install ADB and Fastboot on Windows PCs with this guide so you can have Android SDK on your computer.
- You must have an unlocked bootloader on the Moto X Style before you can install a custom recovery and get root access.
Installing TWRP Recovery On The Motorola Moto X Style
- Download the TWRP recovery on the computer. The file will download above the taskbar at the bottom of the display.
- Once the download is complete, click the small arrow on the right side of that file and choose to ‘show in folder’.
- Now you can see the TWRP file in the folder. Click and drag that TWRP recovery file over to the desktop.
- Once it’s on the desktop, right-click the mouse on the file and choose the ‘extract here’ option.
- Now you should see the twrp-18.104.22.168-clark.img file on the desktop.
- Long-press the Power button on the Motorola moto X Style so it shuts down.
- Reboot it up holding the Volume Down and Power buttons. You should now be in the bootloader mode.
- Connect the Moto X Style to the computer with the USB cable.
- Open the folder where you have ADB and fastboot.
- Hold the Shift key and right-click the mouse. You should get a new menu; choose to open the command window here from that menu.
- Now type the command: “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img”.
- Wait until the custom recovery is installed.
- Type the next command: “fastboot reboot”.
- The Moto X Style will now reboot with your custom recovery installed. You can now learn how to root the Motorola Moto X Style.
You can learn how to boot the Motorola Moto X Style in recovery mode if you ever want to know how to access the custom recovery you just installed. The guide works for both a stock and custom recovery.