The ClockworkMod recovery is available in the Philz Touch form on the Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphones. The following guide shows you how to install that CWM touch recovery on your devices. You can install the recovery before or after getting root access. The rooting guide for these devices is usually using Chainfire’s CF-Auto-Root or CF-Root and Odin.
The Files You Need
- Download one of the Odin versions from this link. You can use any version, although one of the newer versions is best for a newer device like the Samsung Galaxy S5.
- Download the CWM recovery file you need for the S5 from this link.
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers.
- These are the steps to install CWM touch recovery on the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5. The touch version of CWM recovery is Philz touch recovery. The Sprint variant always comes with the model number SM-G900H. You can double-check that by heading to the Settings > About Device menu.
- You can only use this guide on a Windows PC.
Installing CWM recovery On The Samsung Galaxy S5 (Sprint)
- Download the CWM recovery on the computer. It will download directly above the taskbar for all Windows versions to date.
- Click the mouse on the right side of that file where you can see a small arrow pointing down.
- Click the ‘show in folder’ option from the menu.
- You should now see the download location of the CWM recovery file. By default, this is the download folder. If you cannot see it, you can always navigate to the downloads folder.
- Now click and drag that CWM recovery file from the downloads folder over to the desktop.
- Follow the same steps you did with the CWM recovery and do it for the Odin file. You should have both the Odin and CWM recovery on the desktop.
- Right-click over each of the files and choose the ‘extract here’ option. Both files should now be extracted and ready to use.
- Click over the Odin file after extraction and the Odin flashing tool will run on the computer.
- Good; now we are ready to install the custom recovery.
- Turn off the Samsung Galaxy S5 by long-pressing the Power button .
- Reboot the Galaxy S5 by holding the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons.
- You will get a warning screen. Now let go of those buttons and just press the Volume Up button.
- Now you will get past that warning screen.
- Find the USB cable and connect the Samsung Galaxy S5 to the computer with that USB cable.
- Since you already have Odin open, you should see the ID: COM port in Odin change color. The color changes signifies that the drivers are working and your device is detected.
- Click the AP/PDA button and browse the desktop for the custom recovery file.
- Click the Start button in Odin and wait for the flashing tool to flash that custom recovery on your S5 smartphone.
- The S5 will automatically reboot and Odin will give you a pass message on the display.
Now you are ready to unplug from the computer and use your new custom recovery for flashing a custom ROM.