These are the steps to install a custom ROM on the Google Huawei Nexus 6P smartphone. You can use these same steps for any of the ROMs that are available for your device.
Files You Need
- Download your choice of custom ROM from our best custom ROMs for the Google Huawei Nexus 6P list.
- You must have a custom recovery on the Nexus 6P before you can install a custom ROM on the device.
- You must root the Nexus 6P before you can install most of the custom ROMs — though some will also come on pre-rooted firmware.
- Download the NANDroid Manager app from the Google Play Store so you can restore the data from your NANDroid backups.
Installing a Custom ROM on the Google Huawei Nexus 6P
- Download your choice of the Nexus 6P custom ROM directly to the computer and move the file over to the desktop.
- Connect your Google Huawei Nexus 6P to the computer using the USB cable.
- Copy the ROM file over to the root of the internal storage SD card of your Google Nexus 6P device.
- Unplug the 6P from the computer once you have the new ROM file on the SD card. The file should still be zipped.
- Boot up the Nexus 6P in the custom recovery you already installed earlier.
- Tap on the ‘Backup’ option from the main recovery menu and take your complete backup using the NANDroid backup feature.
- Choose the option to wipe your data and factory reset the smartphone. You should always wipe the data before flashing a new ROM on the device.
- Choose the ‘Install’ option from the custom recovery menu, followed by the option to browse the SD card and look for your ROm file.
- Since your file is still zipped, the recovery will now upload that ROM and install it on your device.
- Go back to the main recovery menu and choose the ‘reboot system now’ option from the menu,
The Nexus 6P will now reboot back in the normal mode and your old ROM will be wiped and your new ROM will be showing.