If you have rooted your Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini, the next step is to flash a custom recovery on it. While root has given you permission to run root-requiring apps on your phone, a custom recovery will give you the permission to run custom ROMs – aka modified version of the Android OS – on your phone.
A custom recovery is a must for you to be able to flash a custom ROM on your phone. And fortunately, one of the popular custom recoveries – TWRP Recovery – is now available for your beloved Galaxy S5 Mini.
So, if you are ready, here’s how to flash TWRP Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini:
Files You Need
- You must be running a Windows based computer in order to do this tutorial as the tool that you are going to use is Windows only.
- You must have rooted your phone before doing this tutorial. Please head to our how to root the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini tutorial to learn how you can root your phone.
- Ensure that Samsung USB drivers are installed on your computer. They must be installed or your computer will not recognize your phone.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. It is the custom recovery that will be flashed on your phone.
- Download Odin to your computer. It is the tool that will help you flash a custom recovery on your phone.
- You should only try this on a SM-G800H phone.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini (SM-G800H)
- Extract files from Odin over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here. It should extract the Odin executable file that you are going to use in the following steps.
- Double-click on the Odin executable and it will launch on your computer.
- When the Odin launches, click on the option that says PDA and select TWRP Recovery available on your computer. Here is where you can select a file to be flashed on your phone, and you have selected the TWP Recovery file to be flashed on your phone.
- Ensure that Repartition is unchecked in the Odin.
- Checkmark both Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options in the Odin.
- Power off your phone completely.
- Power on your phone in download mode. To do that, hold down Volume DOWN, Home, and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
- Hit Volume UP and your phone should reboot into the download mode.
- Plug in your phone to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- One of the boxes in the Odin should turn yellow indicating your phone has been recognized. Click on Start in the Odin and it should start flashing TWRP on your phone.
- Wait for the Odin to flash TWRP on your phone. It should not take too long.
- When the Odin’s done flashing TWRP, your phone will automatically reboot.
- And you are done!
You did it!
Your Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini has been successfully equipped with a custom recovery that will help you flash a custom ROM/custom kernel, create backups, and so on, on your phone.
Most custom ROMs that come in the flashable zip format can be flashed on your phone using this newly installed custom recovery. Also, you can create full backups of your phone using this recovery, which can then be restored when things go south on your phone.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Unroot The Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini (SM-G800H)
- How To Root The Sony Xperia SP
- How To Root The LG Nexus 4 On Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- How To Root The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Canadian Variant)
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Sony Xperia SP
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.