Most users just dislike the stock ROM that comes preloaded on their devices, mostly because it contains apps and limitations that they don’t like at all. For instance, you can’t install a root-requiring app on a stock ROM, unless it’s rooted.
Things are different on a custom ROM. Most custom built ROMs come pre-rooted that means you don’t have to go through the steps to gain root. Also, these ROMs have better and more features than the stock ones.
Before you can install a custom ROM on your device, you need to have a custom recovery. Here’s how you can install a custom recovery on your Gionee Pioneer P4 and then get started with installing various custom ROMs. Here you go:
Files You Need
1. Your device must be rooted before you can install a custom recovery. Please check out our how to root the Gionee Pioneer P4 tutorial to learn how you can root your device. Then return here and continue.
2. Download CWM Recovery to your computer. It is the custom recovery that will be installed on your device.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Gionee Pioneer P4
1. Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy CWM Recovery Image from your computer over to the SD card storage on your device. Put it into the root folder on the SD card.
3. Once recovery has been copied, disconnect your phone from your computer.
4. Head over to the Google Play store and download and install Mobileuncle MTK Tools on your device.
5. When the app is installed, launch it from your app drawer.
6. Tap on Recovery update in the app.
7. Select the CWM Recovery Image you copied to your device.
8. Wait for the app to install the selected recovery on your Gionee Pioneer P4.
9. Once the recovery has been installed, reboot your device.
10. You’re all set.
Great! Your Gionee Pioneer P4 now has a custom recovery up and running on it. It’s very easy to get into the newly installed recovery mode on your device. Just use the Quick Boot app and it’ll reboot your device into the recovery mode for you.