With the recent release of iOS 5.1 for iDevices happening only days ago, it is no surprise to start seeing the Jailbreaks being rolled out, and we are pleased to report that Sn0wbreeze 2.9.2 has just become available for download only a day after the release of Redsn0w from the iPhone Dev-team.
As per Redsn0w 0.9.6b10, the Sn0wbreeze updated Jailbreak is unable to unlock A5 devices and is restricted to the iPhone 4/3GS, iPad 1, and iPod Touch, this is largely due to the boot-room level exploit that is available on the A5 chip. Unfortunately, this means those with the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are out of luck for the time being. They have kept it relatively simple in terms of Jailbreaking in the fact the instructions are exactly the same as the previous versions, so if you have done it once, the latest update shouldn’t be a problem. Follow the steps below:
Sn0wbreeze 2.9.2 Tethered Jailbreak For Windows
1. Ensure your iOS 5.1 firmware is ready to go and launch Sn0wbreeze. A window will open, in the bottom right corner there will be an arrow, click this.
2. Select the iOS 5.1 firmware file from the options presented then continue by clicking the blue arrow.
3. The next screen will display the firmware version that is being Jailbroken as well as the type of iDevice being used.
4. The next screen will ask you to select which mood the iDevice will be Jailbroken in, for iPhone you will need to select ‘Expert mode’ once again by clicking on the blue arrow.
5. Several different options will display in the next screen, if you are not familiar with the Jailbreaking process we suggest you pick ‘Build IPSW.’
6. Leave it to work its magic but make sure you do not exit the file until it advises you it has finished.
7. Plug in your iDevice and click on the ‘ok’ option. The on-screen instructions will help you put it into DFU mode. Don’t be surprised when your iDevice screen goes blank.
8. To load the custom firmware onto your device you will need to launch iTunes, on the sidebar find your device, and hit restore whilst holding down the shift key on your keyboard. Select the firmware you want and press ‘ok’.
This is a tethered Jailbreak so you will need to ensure your iDevice is connected to your computer via the USB cable each time you turn it on to ensure it is in its Jailbroken state. This version offers the iBooty feature which is in-built to aid with this process.
To boot into your iDevices Jailbroken state ensure the device is first plugged in then follow these steps:
1. Open iBooty (if it doesn’t open automatically) and choose your device from the drop-down list. Hit ‘Start’.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter DFU mode.
3. Don’t unplug until iBooty tells you to.