The Galaxy Z Flip 3 was released in August of 2021 and subsequently comes with Android 11 out of the box and is upgradable to Android 12. Smartphone batteries have gotten stronger over the years. But there are still many advantages to be gained from root access, such as additional functionality and, of course, the ability to install custom firmware.
The following tutorial demonstrates how to root the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 (B/N/0) smartphone running on Android 11 and Android 12 using Magisk.
Part One: Unlock Galaxy Z Flip 3 Bootloader
Before you can get root access on the Z Flip 3, you must first unlock the bootloader which then allows for the root access. Here is how to do that:
1. On the Galaxy Z Flip 3, navigate to Settings\About Phone\Software Information\Tap on the Build Number six times, and then it will let you know you have become a developer with the notice: “You’re now a developer.”
2. Navigate to Settings\Developer Options\Enable OEM Unlocking.
3. With the Galaxy Z Flip 3 turned off, press the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons together continually until you get into Download Mode.
4. Connect it to the computer (laptop/desktop) with its USB cable after the Galaxy Z Flip 3 is already in its Download Mode.
5. When Download Mode is on the screen, long-press Volume Up until it returns a black screen.
6. Confirm you want to unlock the bootloader.
Proceed to part two below.
Part Two: Root Galaxy Z Flip 3 on Android 11 and Android 12
Once you have unlocked the bootloader, you can proceed to rooting the Z Flip 3. Here is how to do that:
1. Now that the bootloader is unlocked, proceed to set up the Galaxy Z Flip 3 again; however, do NOT sign into your Google account yet.
2. Install Magisk from GitHub: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/v24.1/Magisk-v24.1.apk. Alternate source: Magiskv24.1.apk.
3. Download the firmware for the Galaxy Z Flip 3 and transfer the AP_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5 from the computer to your smartphone.
4. Open Magisk, select Install via Magisk column, and then select Select and Patch a File\Let’s Go, navigate to the AP_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5 file and upload it to this location.
5. Wait for the patching to finish, which can take some time, and then transfer the file magisk_patched-24xxx_xxxxx.tar in the Downloads folder back to your computer (desktop/laptop).
6. With the Galaxy Z Flip 3 turned off, press the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons together continually until you get into Download Mode.
7. Download Odin 3.14.1.exe on your computer (desktop/laptop). Open Odin, and then do the following:
- Click on BL and select BL_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5
- Click on AP and select magisk_patched-24xxx_xxxxx.tar
- Click on CP and select CP_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5
- Click on CSC and select CSC_OMC_xxxxxxxxxx.tar.md5
8. Once Odin completes the flashing, the smartphone will reboot and will then have root access.
You may now want to check out some of the best root apps for Android if you like.
In conclusion, that is how to root the Galaxy Z Flip 3 (B/N/0) running on Android 11 and Android 12.