If your Moto G is locked and you were not able to take a hard reset, it’s because you tried to take the hard reset from the Settings. Thankfully there is more than one way to hard reset the Moto G. The alternative method is via Recovery Mode, which you can get access to with the hardware buttons.
This tutorial demonstrates how to hard reset the Moto G when the device is locked.
Moto G Hard Reset Device Is Locked
You can hard reset the Moto G when the device is locked from Recovery Mode. Here is how to do that:
1. With the Moto G turned off, press and hold the Power + Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
2. Wait a few seconds and you should see Fastboot Mode.
3. In Fastboot Mode, select Recovery Mode.
4. Press Power + Volume Up on the Android robot screen.
5. In Recovery Mode, select Wipe data/factory reset.
6. Select Yes.
7. Select Reboot system now.
When the Android operating system restarts, you can sign in to your Google account again. This is the same Google account you would access via Google Search on any computer. So if you have forgotten your password, to go a computer and visit Google.com and request to reset it. Then come back to the Moto G and use the updated details.
In conclusion, that is how to hard reset the Moto G smartphone when the device is locked.