Team Win’s custom recovery image, known as just TWRP to most for short, is the best custom recovery image available out there for any device that runs on the Android operating system. It was so good when it first arrived that, whatever competition it originally had, pretty much just packed up and went away for good because their services were no longer required.
The TWRP Recovery custom recovery image allows for you to take NANDroid backups which are useful (and required) between flashing custom ROMs. As you might have guessed, you can also use the custom recovery image for flashing the custom ROMs as well, leaving you with the new ROM booting up when you reboot the device.
If you’re interested in root access, then you’ll also be keen to learn that you can flash rooting files directly from the custom recovery partition as well—just boot into the recovery mode and Flash the rooting files the same way you flash the ROM files and you’ll have root access when you reboot the device and start using the operating system.
TWRP is also useful for fixing permissions, taking factory resets, and restoring backups, but what made it famous was the fact that it comes with a touch interface, differing from the older ClockworkMod recovery that forced users to navigate with the Volume keys. Now you just tap buttons on the devices display as you would expect to do when using the Android operating system in general.
Details We Should Know
- The custom recovery images available in this guide are only to be installed on the Huawei Mediapad M2 8.0 tablet. Most devices have a custom recovery image developed specifically for it, and you shouldn’t install one that is intended for another device unless advised it is okay by a professional.
- You can follow this guide on any of the major three computer operating systems: Windows, Mac, and Linux. You just need to download the right platform-tools file from the Android SDK package when you’re on the Android website, which is walked through during the guide below.
Files We Need
- Download on your computer the latest version of TWRP Recovery: Primary (Americas) | Primary (Europe).
- Download on your computer the universal ADB drivers.
- Download on your computer the platform-tools from the Android SDK.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Huawei Mediapad M2 8.0 Tablets
1. Make sure you’ve installed the universal ADB driver on the computer. That will make it possible for you to use adb commands as well as the Huawei Mediapad M2 8.0 tablet. If you can’t get the Huawei Mediapad M2 8.0 tablet connected to the computer, then you can also download the Huawei USB drivers instead so the computer has both the ADB drivers and Huawei drivers installed . . . you then can’t go wrong.
2. You need to have the platform-tools part of the Android SDK on your computer. From the download link scroll down until you get to the command line tools section and then download the package that is made for your operating system.
3. Once you have the SDK Manager on your computer, check the box only for the platform-tools, so you end up with the adb and fastboot binaries installed on the computer. (You could also install the drivers from there as well if you wanted.)
4. Pick up the Huawei Mediapad M2 8.0 smartphone and navigate to the Settings > About and tap your finger over the build number at least seven times so that the Developer Options menu becomes unlocked. Then go back to the Settings, enter the Developer Options menu and then enable the USB debugging mode.
5. Connect the Huawei Mediapad M2 8.0 smartphone to the computer by using the USB cable that it comes with.
6. Now on the computer open the Command Prompt and type the
adb reboot bootloader command and hit “Enter” on your keyboard to get the Huawei Mediapad M2 8.0 tablet into the bootloader mode and ready for the flashing.
7. Make sure you have copied the TWRP image file to the same folder as the adb and fastboot binaries. Also when you’re there, change the name of the TWRP to “twrp.img” by right-clicking the mouse pointer on it and selecting the “rename” option from the menu.
8. From the command line type the
fastboot flash recovery twrp.imgcommand and hit “Enter” on your keyboard to flash the custom recovery.
9. Lastly type the
fastboot reboot command and as soon as the Huawei Mediapad M2 8.0 tablet reboots, hold down the key combination to boot directly into the recovery mode. (If you don’t sometimes the stock recovery will wipe over the custom recovery you just installed.)
The custom recovery image for the Huawei Mediapad M2 8.0 tablet is now installed, and you are ready to boot into recovery mode and start flashing the custom ROM or rooting zip files.