Those Note 4 owners preferring to give themselves administrator permissions of the Android operating system will need to get root access. Once you have root access we advise you unroot the Note 4 so you can install official over the air updates without bricking the device. Furthermore, sometimes people want to run the Stock ROM once again from a custom version. You can unoot Samsung devices to restore the stock ROM. Here’s how that’s done.
The files You Need
- Download the stock ROM from this page.
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers from this page.
- Download the Odin flashing tool you need to install the stock ROM from this page.
- These are the steps to unroot the Canadian Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with model number SM-N910W8. That same model number is on all of the Note 4’s in Canada.
- You must have a Windows PC to use the Odin flashing tool; thus you must have a Windows PC for this guide.
Unrooting The Samsung Galaxy Note 4
- Unzip the stock ROM firmware file on the computer.
- Click, drag and drop the executable firmware file from inside the folder over to the desktop so it’s no longer in any folder.
- Unzip the Odin app on the computer.
- Run the Odin flashing tool so it’s waiting.
- Check that you have the USB Debugging turned on already. Point to the Apps > Settings App > Developer Options > USB Debugging. Check the box if it is empty.
- Long-press the Power button on the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. It should soon turn completely off.
- Boot the Samsung galaxy Note 4 in download mode by pressing the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons.
- Let go of the Home + Volume Down + Power buttons after you get the warning screen.
- Press the Volume Up button.
- Your device should now be in the download mode and ready to connect to the computer where you have the stock ROM and Odin waiting.
- Connect the Note 4 to the computer with the USB cable.
- Click the AP button. Those with the older Odin will need to click the PDA button.
- Upload the stock ROM (firmware) from the desktop.
- Wait until you can see the file extension of that stock ROM load in the Odin bar.
- Click the Start button and Odin will now flash that ROM on your device.
- Do not remove the cable until you see the pass message on Odin’s display.
Test the unrooting guide worked by installing the root checker app from the Google Play Store.