These are the instructions to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9192 running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat operating systems using the CF-Auto-Root tool by Chainfire and the Odin flash tool by Samsung.
Those of you rooting the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini for the first time using the CF-Auto-Root tool will need to back up the date before starting the guide. The CF-Root-Tool needs to unlock the bootloader first and doing that will wipe your data.
Files You Need
- Download the new CF-Auto-Root package for the I9192 on 4.4.2 from this page.
- Download the Odin flashing tool from this page.
- Download the Universal ADB driver from this page.
- The following guide to root the S4 Mini GT-I9192 running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat is based on the KOT49H.I9192DDUCNL1 firmware. That same KOT49H.I9192DDUCNL1 firmware will only be available for some regions and languages. Either flash that firmware on your Galaxy S4 Mini or run a firmware that is available around the same time.
- Sometimes future firmware updates can include new bootloaders and when that happens the CF-Root-Tool can have flashing and booting failures. If your device is experiencing that, you need let the developer know by posting on the official CF-Auto-Root thread at XDA Developers.
Rooting the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9192 running Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- You must have a computer running a version of Windows operating system to use this guide or else it will not work.
- You must enable your Developer Options on the S4 Mini smartphone by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Tap where it gives the Build Number at least seven times. It will say you are using the S4 Mini as a developer.
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode from the Developer Options you just unlocked on the S4 Mini by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
- Download and extract the CF-Auto-Root file for the I9192 to the desktop of the computer by right-clicking over the file and selecting the “extract here” option from the menu.
- Do the same thing again for the Odin 1.85 flash tool so it too is extracted on the desktop of the computer.
- Double-click the Odin executable so your flash tool window opens on the desktop.
- Long-press the Power button on your S4 Mini or turn it off by pressing power once and then the Power off option from the Device menu.
- Boot the S4 Mini up in the download mode you need to flash files. You can get the S4 Mini in the download mode by pressing the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons.
- Continue pressing the three buttons until the smartphone display says to press the Volume Up button.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to the computer with the USB cable you normally use for charging the battery.
- Wait for the ID: COM port to change to a green color so you know the ADB driver is working; reboot your computer if you cannot get the driver to run work.
- Click the PDA button from your Odin 1.85 user-interface and upload your CF-Auto-Root tar.md5 file for the I9192 smartphone — you can see it after you extracted the file earlier. Only extract the file once or else you will lose the file.
- Do not change any of the default settings you can see from the Odin user-interface.
- Click the Start button and it will start rooting the S4 Mini smartphone.
- Wait until you can see the pass message from the Odin 1.85 user-interface and your device reboots into the recovery mode.
It should automatically reboot most devices into the required recovery mode. You must reboot into the recovery mode manually on your S4 Mini if it does not happen automatically or else the root will not work. You can reach recovery mode by turning it off and rebooting holding the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons from your device.