If you want to start using some of the best rooted apps for your Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime device, you will of course have to root it first. We can do that with most Samsung devices by using the one-click CF-Root tool in conjunction with the Odin flashing tool. The Odin app for your computer was never officially released by Samsung, but it works perfectly with Chainfire’s rooting tools. Once you have access to the root file system, you can install new apps like the Link2SD application. With Link2SD, you can move apps to the SD card easier than anything else we know available for managing your apps. The Link2SD app works well for devices running Android 2.0 and up and is just one of the many examples of new apps you can install on your Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime.
Files You Need
- You must unlock the bootloader on the Grand Prime smartphone before you can root it using this guide.
- Download the CF-Root one-click rooting tool by Chainfire from this page.
- Download the ADB drivers to your computer.
- Download the latest Odin version from this page. If the guide doesn’t work on that version, try downloading one of the earlier versions of the Odin flashing tool.
- The rooting package above is based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat. If you want to be 100% safe when rooting the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime using this guide, we recommend downgrading to the Android 4.4.4 KitKat software update. You can find that file available from the Sam Mobile website and flash it with the Odin flashing tool by Samsung.
- You must follow this guide using a Windows computer. Do not attempt to run the Odin tool on Ubuntu or Mac OS X operating systems.
Rooting the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime SM-G5308W
- Download the rooting package directly on your computer.
- Since you are using the Windows operating system, that will automatically download to the Downloads folder by default.
- Open your Downloads folder and click and drag the CF-Root file over to the desktop.
- Right-click over the file and choose the “extract here” option from the menu.
- Repeat the steps for the Odin package so you have the Odin file extracted and on the desktop.
- Turn off your Grand Prime device and reboot it in download mode (Volume Down + Home + Power).
- Connect the Grand Prime to the computer with the USB cable.
- If the drivers are working, you should see the added message from the Odin message box and the ID: COM port change color.
- Click the AP or the PDA button and browse your desktop for the extracted CF-Root file.
- Once uploaded, leave the default settings in the Odin user-interface and just click the Start button.
- Soon the Odin flashing tool will give you the pass message from the message box and reboot your device. If your device doesn’t reboot, do that manually.
- Once your device is rebooted, take control of your Google account and start installing the root-requiring apps from the Google Play Store.
You can start by installing the root checker app to make sure it does have the access to the root file system.