These are the steps you need to install TWRP recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 device. TWRP represents a custom recovery. You want to replace the stock recovery that comes with your Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone with a custom version. The custom version will let you install a custom ROM thanks to the added zip file feature. Of course, that’s not the only difference between a custom and stock recovery, but it is the most popular reason for updating. The others might want to test out what taking a NANDroid backup is all about thanks to that added backup feature. Once you learn how to take a NANDroid backup you’ll likely never went to go back to backing up the data a different way ever again.
The Files You Need
- Download the TWRP recovery file you need from here.
- Download Odin 3.09 or 3.10 for your device from here. You can use Odin 3.07 if the other two links are down at the time of your visit.
- You are voiding your warranty by installing a custom recovery on the device. You’ll need to research if your device comes with Knox security. If so, you won’t get that warranty working again. Those with no Knox can unroot and restore the warranty.
Installing TWRP recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505
- Download the TWRP recovery file to the desktop of the computer.
- Download the Odin file and keep it next to the recovery file.
- Right-click over both of the files and select the ‘extract here’ option from the menu.
- Double-click on the Odin file after you have extracted it on the desktop.
- You should now have the Odin flashing tool running on your device and the custom recovery image already extracted on the desktop.
- Now pick up your Samsung Galaxy S4 and turn it off completely. You do that by holding down the Power key until you know it’s off.
- Now reboot into the download mode by pressing the Volume Down + Home + Power keys.
- Keep pressing the three keys until you get to a warning screen. You’ll see two new options from that screen. One of them is to go back and the other is to enter the download mode. Press the Volume Up and get in the download mode.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Click the AP or PDA button in the Odin tool.
- Browse the desktop of the TWRP recovery file.
- Click the Start button and the flashing will now begin. Soon that custom recovery will be flashed on your device.
- Do not touch anything until you see a pass message from Odin. Furthermore, you device should automatically reboot.