Samsung smartphones are some of the easiest to flash with official firmware updates, custom recoveries and root access when we can use Odin to do the job. The J1 Ace now has a custom recovery available that users can flash using that same Odin app on a computer. Once you have the custom recovery installed, you can upload custom ROM zip files, take NANDroid backups, wipe the device, restore the device data and more. Backing up has never been easier with new options for you to backup the data, system, cache, boot and recovery.
The Files You Need
- Download the TWRP recovery file for the J1 Ace from this official link.
- Download the Odin flashing tool from this page. Use anything between Odin 3.07 and Odin 3.10.
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers on the computer.
- These are the steps to install TWRP recovery on the Samsung Galaxy J1 Ace. Do not install the file on a different device; you will brick the device.
- You can only follow this guide using a Windows operating system. Furthermore, don’t try installing the app using a Windows RT from a Microsoft Surface laptop. Those operating systems only install apps through the Microsoft Windows App Store.
Installing TWRP Recovery On The Samsung Galaxy J1 Ace
- Download the TWRP recovery to the Windows computer. You should see the file downloading above the taskbar.
- Wait until the download completes and then click the right side of that file where there is a small arrow.
- Click the ‘show in folder’ option.
- Drag the TWRP recovery file from the folder over to the desktop.
- Follow the same steps you just did for the custom recovery and get the Odin file on the desktop.
- Now you should have the custom recovery and the Odin flashing tool on the desktop.
- Right-click over each of the files and choose the ‘extract here’ option. You now have the files you can use for each file.
- Click the Odin file after you extracted it and the flashing tool will run on the PC.
- Click the AP/PDA button and browse the desktop for the TWRP recovery.
- Once you can see the custom recovery file is loaded in the AP/PDA button, click the Start button.
- Odin will now flash that custom recovery on your Samsung Galaxy J1 Ace.
You can download the official stock ROM for the J1 Ace from sources online such as Sam Mobile. You should find a stock recovery file after you extract the stock ROM. Flash that stock recovery and the stock ROM to remove root access and a custom recovery.