Those wishing to customize their Lenovo Tab 2 tablet can install a custom recovery on the device to replace the stock recovery. A custom recovery lets you use all the same functions a stock recovery would, but you get a few additional features that help you do more with your device.
These are the steps to install TWRP Recovery on the Lenovo Tab 2 using the SP Flash Tool. You can flash the recovery a few ways if you are already rooted: using ADB and fastboot, using Rashr and Flashify. Alternatively, you can use our guide below using the SP Flash Tool.
Files You Need
- Download the TWRP Recovery for the A10-70 from this page.
- Download the latest version of the SP Flash Tool from this page.
- Download the SP Drivers from this page.
- Those of you suffering from driver problems during the guide can install the universal ADB Driver and see if that helps.
- You must have a Windows computer to follow this guide. You need to install the drivers using the Device manager from Windows operating systems.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70
- Start by installing your SP Drivers on the computer. Download and extract the SP Driver file on the computer.
- Open your Device Manager on the Windows PC.
- Turn off the Lenovo Tab 2 by long-pressing the Power button and then connect it to the computer with the USB cable you normally use to charge the battery.
- Your Device Manager should refresh and show the MT67xx vcom for a few seconds. Quickly right-click on that number and choose the option to ‘Install Driver manually” from the menu.
- Navigate to the directory of your SP Drivers and install them.
- Unplug your Lenovo Tab 2 from the computer once you have completed the driver installation.
- Extract the SP Flash Tool and extract the TWRP file on your desktop. You can do that by right-clicking over the TWRP and the Flash Tool and choosing the option that says “extract here”.
- Start the SP Flash Tool.
- Click the ‘Download’ tab and upload the scatter file you can see from inside the TWRP zip file you extracted.
- Use the Android 4 file if you are running Android 4.4.4 KitKat and use the Android 5 file if you are using the Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- Make sure only the ‘Recovery’ is checked.
- Make sure the ‘Download Only’ is selected from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the ‘Location’ and browse for the TWRP Recovery file.
- Click ‘Download’ from the Flash Tool user-interface.
- With the Lenovo tab 2 still turned off, connect it to the computer with the USB cable and the TWRP recovery will be flashed on the device within a matter of seconds. Wait for the large green ‘OK’ text to appear on the display.
- Close the SP Flash Tool.
- Press the Volume Up and Power buttons on the Tab 2 to boot it up in Recovery Mode. Keep both buttons pressed in for at least 10 seconds until you see the Splash Screen. Make sure you time it wel so you do enter the Recovery Mode. You do not want to Power it up normally or you will have to start again.
- Choose the Recovery option from your menu that should come up when you let go of the Volume Up and Power buttons on the Splash Screen. You should see the normal, fastboot and recovery option to choose from on the menu.
In conclusion, the TWRP Recovery should now start to boot and you can use that recovery mode to reboot in normal mode, upload a custom ROM file or take a complete backup for the first time without adb commands.
The custom recovery is now installed on your Lenovo Tab 2 device until you decide to flash the stock recovery back on the device. You can only ever have one of those at a time.