Installing a custom recovery on your Lenovo K3 lets you root your device using the SuperSU method and help you install all of those fancy root-requiring apps that have been luring you on your device.
Fortunately, one of the finest custom recoveries – CWM recovery – is available for the Lenovo K3 and the guide below shows how you can get it installed on your device in no time. So go ahead and get it installed, and then follow our rooting guide to root your device.
Files You Need
1. This should flash the famous ClockworkMod custom recovery on your Lenovo K3 smartphone.
2. You should have the PDAnet drivers installed on your computer. If you haven’t done so yet, please go here and download and install the latest drivers on your computer.
3. Download Minimal ADB and Custom Recovery Package to your computer. It contains all the tools you need to install the recovery on your device.
4. This tutorial should only work on Windows based PCs.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Lenovo K3
1. First off, extract files from Minimal ADB Package to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. On your device, head to Menu->Settings->Developer options and turn on USB debugging.
If you don’t see Developer options in the settings menu, head to Menu->Settings->About phone and tap on Build number for 7-8 times until it says you’re a developer. You should then be able to see Developer options in your settings.
3. Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
4. Launch a Command Prompt Window where you have extracted the ADB files. To do that, hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here to launch the command prompt window.
5. Type in the following command into the window and press Enter. It should reboot your device into bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
6. Up next, issue the following command to install the recovery on your device. Make sure to replace recoveryname.img with the actual name of the recovery image you have.
fastboot flash recovery recoveryname.img
7. Wait for it to install the recovery on your device.
8. When the recovery is installed, issue the following command to reboot your phone.
9. Your phone should reboot.
10. You’re done.
You have successfully installed a custom recovery on your Lenovo K3 and you are all set to root your device.
Please head to our how to root the Lenovo K3 tutorial to learn how you can gain root-access on your device.