The Sony Xperia Z Ultra is a beast with 6.4-inch quad HD display–it’s not a phone, it’s a phablet. The aforementioned smartphone has the ultimate performance with great pixel density. The Ultra smartphone received the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update last month and still there is no way to root this phone running android 5.0.2 lollipop. Today I will tell you a fast yet tricky way to root your phone running the latest 14.5.A.0.242 firmware build based on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. So get your weapons ready to root your device.
Rooting is a risky process and may brick your device if not done carefully. Rooting is an unofficial process. That means rooting is not recommended by Google or Sony. If you root your device using this process then your phone’s warranty will get void and you will be charged for any future assistance.
Backup is a must whenever you perform any unofficial process like rooting or installing custom ROM. You can save your contacts by syncing them to your Google account. Also backup all of your important data files and media files to your PC or any external drive.
You need a windows based PC with adb drivers installed on it and all the antivirus like software will be disabled during this process, a USB cable and your phone with USB debugging enabled, enable it by going to settings > developer options > check USB debugging option here. Also make sure that your phone should have at least 70% battery left on it.
Steps to root Sony Xperia Z Ultra running 14.5.A.0.242 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop
- Install Sony Xperia drivers on your PC.
- Also install adb drivers on your PC.
- Now download SuperSU beta zip file and TWRP custom recovery zip file to your PC.
- Connect your phone to your PC and transfer the SuperSU zip file to your phone.
- Extract the Doomkernel zip file on your desktop.
- In the same folder right click on empty space while pressing shift key and select “open command window here” from options.
- On command windows type this command adb reboot fastboot, this will reboot your phone to fast boot.
- After that type this command fastboot boot boot.img, this will reboot your phone to TWRP recovery.
- Now on recovery take a backup of your previous ROM, just tap on Backup and confirm to proceed.
- After that come to main menu and tap on Install > choose zip from sd card > select the SuperSU zip file just transferred to your phone and confirm to flash.
- After flashing’s done, reboot your phone to OS mode by taping on Reboot > System.
Now your phone will reboot to rooted OS and you can check root access on your phone by installing any root checker app.