The PUP.Optional.ShopAtHome.A is not a virus but rather a blackhat SEO technique designed to help the owner’s webpage rank better in search engines through the manipulative tactics of getting it on your computer first.
PUP.Optional.ShopAtHome.A may also be considered as adware due to it having installed a web browser plugin for Internet Explorer that shows additional banner, search, text link and other forms of advertisements when you visit webpages on the internet. These ads are not being shown from the websites that you’re visiting bur rather than extensions from the ShopAtHome.A Potentially Unwanted Program.
While technically not a virus, this is not something you want to keep on your computer, and it’s generally considered by experts to be labeled a Potentially Unwanted Program) PUP.
You may have got PUP.Optional.ShopAtHome.A on your computer when you downloaded freeware software that had the packaged bundled in. If you do download free software, it’s a good idea to run scans with antimalware programs such as Malwarebytes to make sure your computer is cleaned from any junk programs such as these that may be sitting on your computer.
The following tutorial demonstrates how to remove the PUP.Optional.ShopAtHome.A malware from Windows computers.
How to Remove PUP.Optional.ShopAtHome.A Using AdwCleaner
The Windows operating system doesn’t come with an adware cleaner by default, so you have to install a third-party program to remove the adware instead. Here is how you can remove the PUP.Optional.ShopAtHome.A Potentially Unwanted Program using an adware clean program such as AdwCleaner on your computer:
1. Download the AdwCleaner from the Malwarebytes website. (See screenshot below)
2. If you are prompted by User Account Control and asked “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device,” click on Yes.
3. After the scan completes, keep any threats checked and then click on the Clean & Repair button.
4. The AdwCleaner needs to close all programs and restart the computer before it can finish cleaning up your computer. Click on Clean & Restart Now.
Make sure you save any work you don’t want to lose because your browser windows will not open with the same pages again after the reboot.
5. When the computer boots back up and you sign in to your account, the AdwCleaner interface will automatically open again and shows you that the cleanup is complete. You may also choose to view the log file of the results.
You can now close the AdwCleaner window.
How to Remove PUP.Optional.ShopAtHome.A Using Malwarebytes
1. Visit the Malwarebytes website and then click on the Free Download link for your operating system.
2. If your web browser shows a message that says “this type of file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep the executable file anyway?,” click on the Keep button.
3. If prompted by User Account Control and asked: “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?,” click on the Yes button.
4. Select between Personal computer and Work computer for where you are installing Malwarebytes ad then click on the Continue button.
5. Click on the Agree and Install button to accept the license agreement.
6. Click on the Finish button when the Malwarebytes installation is complete.
7. The Malwarebytes interface should open on its own. If it doesn’t, click on its application that is now on your desktop.
8. Click on the Scan Now button to bring the scan.
9. Malwarebytes will then take a few moments to run a quick scan of the computer.
10. Place a tick on the boxes next to the malware threats and then click on the Quarantine Selected button.
11. If Malwarebytes hasn’t solved the malware on your computer, you can visit their website and contact them to let them know of the issue that their software is not yet fixing.
You can now close the Malwarebytes application.
This article was last updated on May 13, 2019.