Android 5.1 Lollipop is now live for a few different devices, and as usual, the Google Nexus range of smartphones and tablets heads that list. Android 5.1 comes with a smoother ROM experience that fixes the instability we found with the original 5.0 release, HD Voice calling, Dual SIM support and device protection. If you have already installed the LMY47D Android 5.1 software update on your tablet and want to gain root access, you can do that easily by following the guide below.
Make sure you check out the recommendations before starting the steps after the jump, so you have everything you need.
- You must be running the latest 5.1 software update. You can check if it’s installed on your device by navigating to the About Device menu and look for the build number that matches up with the LMY47D in the title.
- You can only follow the guide on the Google Nexus 10. Each different device comes with a unique guide. You’ll need to flash different files to the other devices. Thankfully we are creating a guide for each so if you have one of the other devices, check the home page for more information.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You ought to download and install the Nexus USB drivers from our downloads page here. Download the drivers to the computer you are using. Restart the computer after you are done, so the drivers are working.
- You automatically void the warranty by applying the guide below. You’ll need to unroot the device before a warranty can work again and you can send it away for future repairs on the house.
- ClcokworkMod recovery is included in the guide so you’ll have a custom recovery to use along with the root access which allows for installing a custom ROM. If you don’t want ClockworkMod, you can just flash the SuperSU file alone.
- You shouldn’t lose any data by following the steps, but we still recommend taking a full backup of the current ROM and OS just in case you need to apply a hard reset later down the track. Sometimes devices can get stuck in boot loops or other potential problems, and the easiest fix is to access recovery and factory reset.
HOW TO ROOT THE GOOGLE NEXUS 10 RUNNING LMY47D ANDROID 5.1 LOLLIPOP
1. Download Android SDK here.
2. Follow the guide to setup ADB and Fastboot with Android SDK from the link above.
Note: You can skip installing Android SDK if you already have it set up from last time. The version doesn’t matter.
3. Download the Manta touch recovery for CWM here.
4. Copy and paste the CWM file to the /platform-tools directory on the computer.
5. Download the SuperSU zip file here.
6. Transfer the SuperSu zipped file over to the internal storage SD card of the Nexus 10.
7. Boot the Nexus 10 in fastboot mode by pressing the Volume Down and Power. Hold the buttons in for a few seconds and let go.
8. Navigate to the platform-tools directory and click on a blank white space while holding the SHift key. Now choose the option to open the Command prompt.
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-188.8.131.52-manta.img
10. Wait for the fastboot menu and choose the recovery option.
11. From inside recovery, scroll down the list of options and choose flash zip from SD card.
12. Choose the “choose zip from SD card” and upload the SuperSU zip file.
13. Navigate out of there after it’s installed and choose the “reboot system now” option from the main recovery screen.
That’s it. . . . You are done rooting and installing ClockworkMod recovery on the Nexus 10.