If you are the owner of the LG G3 and live in Canada, you can now anytime install the official TWRP custom recovery image on your device by connecting to a computer and using the command prompt.
The same guide is up for grabs on all variants. However, each different model numbers comes with a unique file. Read the instructions carefully, so you don’t make any mistakes.
After you have the recovery image installed on the phone, you can think about taking a Nandroid backup after you have root access, installing a custom ROM and more.
- The file you find attached in this post is only for the Canadian LG G3 smartphone to install team Win’s custom recovery image. There are numerous other G3 handsets in other countries including the United States, Korea, and Europe.
- The United States has several different phone carrier networks all with one variant of the smartphone each. You must only use this file for the Canadian model number. You can check the model number of your device by navigating to Settings > About Device.
Before We Begin
- Don’t start until you have saved at least 50% battery on the phone. We are connecting to the computer for some of the guide. If you choose to unplug from the computer you must make sure the device doesn’t turn off until the flashes finishes.
- Enable the USB Debugging by navigating to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- Install the USB drivers for setting up Android SDK from the link below. Likewise, you should have the latest USB drivers for the G3 phone from the official website or by downloading them from third-party links.
- This is an unofficial operation which also voids the manufacturer’s warranty. The handset is still the current flagship under the Lg name. The warranty should still be working if you are running stock Android (plus the bloatware from the manufacturer and carrier network).
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Canadian LG G3
- Set up Android SDK with ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and fastboot by following our step by step guide here.
- Make sure you have the ADB drivers installed on your computer here.
- Download the Canadian LG G3 TWRP file here.
- Connect the smartphone to the Windows computer with the USB cable.
- Transfer the recovery .img file to the internal SD card of the phone (internal memory)
- Stay connected to the computer and navigate to the ADB folder.
- Right-click the open white space and press down the Shift key.
- You will now see the command prompt open in a window.
- Type “adb devices” and check that the device is connecting properly. If you don’t see it ping back in the results you should download the USB drivers and try again.
- Now type each of the following commands separately and press the Enter key after each command.
- – “adb shell”
– “dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery”
– “dd if=/sdcard/twrp-188.8.131.52_d850-signed.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery.”
After you finish entering the last command, the TWRP recovery will successfully flash on your device. Now all you need is to learn the commands for opening the device in recovery mode. You can find that here.