Once you are done rooting your S4 GT-i9505 smartphone, it’s time to make that useful by installing an unofficial recovery image such as ClockworkMod recovery. A custom recovery is very different to a stock recovery because it allows users to do much more.
The main reason rooted users want it is to flash the custom ROM and also perform the necessary wipes of caching and factory resets between trying new ROMs. Check the guide after the jump to learn how to do that.
- You must turn on the I9505 device and check your model number matches up with the one in the title by navigating to Settings > About Device. Having a different model number can brick the handset.
- You should already be rooted before starting here. It makes sense to root the device before flashing a custom recovery.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You must have the Samsung USB Drivers for mobile phones by visiting our other page. If you are coming here from our rooting guide you probably already have those and don’t need to download them again.
- You need a Windows computer for this guide and a working USB cable.
- Moreover, you want to enable the USB Debugging Mode from the Developer Options menu.
HOW TO FLASH THE CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY ON SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 GT-I9505
1. Download the ClockworkMod Recovery from here.
2. Download the Odin you want here.
3. Extract both files to the desktop.
– if you are coming from our rooting guide under the same device name, you can skip downloading it again as you already have it.
4. Run the Odin tool, so it’s working.
5. Boot your S4 GT-I9505 in Download Mode
– hold down the Power + Home + Volume Down button combinations and press the Power button again if you see the Android logo.
6. Now click the PDA button inside Odin and upload the CWM recovery file.
7. Click the start button and wait for it to flash.
8. The S4 will reboot automatically at the end, and your handset has the ClockworkMod recovery installed.
Don’t like being mainstream? Perhaps you’d prefer flashing the TWRP Recovery instead.